Friday, August 19, 2005

Morning Greetings

From time to time, I think "wouldn't it be great if I said something more meaningful to my family as we departed in the mornings?" I mean, "see ya' later" hardly qualifies as a pep talk for a hard day.

Deborah DeWinter, the Programme executive for the World Council of Churches in the United States told a story once of an African father who would say to his children, "Don't let anyone take the Jesus out of you. Don't take the Jesus out of anyone." That struck me as profound. So, I've been saying that to my daughter the last three days. This morning she replied, "I know, Dad, you said that to me yesterday. You say that to me every day." I haven't said it every day this was only day three. I've taken her to school close to 600 times. Which rounds out to mean that I've said it .5 percent of the time. I don't know if this was her way of saying, "Don't embarass me." Though we were in the car and no one could tell what we were saying to one another. OR perhaps her way of saying, "I appreciate that." Either way, I think she was fairly firm this morning that the Jesus in her wasn't going anywhere and if the Jesus in anyone else moved, it wasn't her fault.

I shall try again on Monday to find something meaningful to say. Though profundity is hard at 8:30 in the morning sitting in the middle of a Jr. High parking lot.

No comments: