Friday, May 25, 2012

Outliner--The Ball That Get's Moved

Each Fall as football season approaches, Charlie Brown is tricked into attempting to kick a football as Lucy holds it.  Each year he tries even though he knows that she will pull it away at the last second, he will kick into thin air and the inertia of his foot meeting no resistance from a football will carry him sailing into the sky and land him flat on his back.

Finding a computer outliner is that experience for me.  I have tried repeatedly for well over a decade.  There are PLENTY of computer outliners available in freeware, shareware, and commercial form.  Some are fully featured and others are sparse.  There are one-pane, two-pane and three-pane versions.  I have tried many.  The problem that I have found is that the ones that do what I need them to do are not stable and the ones that are stable don't do what I need them to do.  Or they are prohibitively expensive.

NEEDS:

  • Single-pane--when composing a speech outline, it is hard for me to look back and forth between claim (i.e., the topic line of an outline) and data & warrant material (i.e., the substructure of a main point).  I've tried.  It doesn't work for me.
  • Numbered lists--Because I've been doing this for a number of years, I know where I am on a speech using the old fashioned, Harvard style (I, II, A, B, 1, 2,) style of outlining.  I  prefer something that does exactly that.  I need something that at least numbers.  It's hard to "signpost" orally if your outline doesn't designate A, B, C and 1, 2,3.
  • The ability to easily move chunks of the outline around.  One of the chief benefits of an outline for speech purposes is to see quickly the flow and development of an argument.  Just having something that looks like an outline (which I can produce in MS Word) will not achieve what I need it to achieve. In Outline View, Word has some navigational tools but it doesn't easily move chunks (i.e., a main point AND it's substructure).  
WANTS:
  • Cross platform--I use an iPhone, Mac (at the office) and PC (at home).  
  • Affordable.
  • The ability to expand and collapse units.  
ATTEMPTS:
  • Omni-Outliner--works great in Mac.  Doesn't work in any other environment.
  • Tree--seems to work so far well in Mac.  Doesn't work in any other environment.
  • ThinkLinkr--seemed perfect at first.  Works online (like google docs) but has proven to be unacceptably unstable on many computers.
  • NoteMap--a PC outliner designed for lawyers, effective.  Prohibitively expensive (over $200).
PLAN:
I will be using Carbon Fin's Outliner Online for any idea-jotting to do on the iPhone or other computer.  I can import it as OPML into either OmniOutliner or Tree on the Mac. Still looking for acceptable version to use on the PC.  

No comments: