Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Where to Worship Christmas Day

Several news articles report the choice that some mega-churches have made to cancel Sunday morning services on Christmas Day. The articles report that several prominent mega-church leaders (Fellowship Church in Grapevine being among them) consulted among themselves and determined an acceptable way to communicate their intent to not hold service on Christmas Day.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002668999_christmas07.html
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/13346060.htm
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/13323398.htm

Since I am critical of the churches listed in these articles for other reasons, I found a lot to wag my finger at. I've done that. I have said to friends, "If you don't go to worship on Christmas Day when Christmas is on a Sunday, you don't get to complain about the world taking 'Christ' out of Christmas." I do believe that and stick with it. At the same time, I must own up to the fact that Christmas on Sunday has changed things around here as well. We will not have 8:30 service nor will we have Sunday School. We aren't having our traditional Christmas Eve services. Rather we have moved our normal 7:00 pm service up to 5:00 pm and our 11:00 service up to 8:00. We made these changes for many of the same reasons as the churches who decided not to have services on Christmas Day--worship services are a lot of work and to do several in 24 hours is difficult. Consider this, we prepare two slightly different services every Sunday (8:30 and 10:45 differ slightly). For Christmas Eve we generally prepare two slightly different services as well (the early service and the late service on Christmas Eve generally has different musical selections). When Christmas Eve and Sunday are separated by a few days, these differences are manageable but when they occur in close succession (in less than 24 hours) some streamlining has to take place. In short, when events place Christmas Day on Sunday it is an admitted inconvenience. We've all made some concessions to mitigate those inconveniences though I'm really curious about those who'd go so far as to completely cancel services on Christmas Sunday.

Christmas, of course, is about inconvenience. Calvin used the term accommodation to speak of God translating divine intent into understandable human language. As well, the incarnation points us toward a moment of incredible divine inconvience. The fullness of God came to humanity, being inconvenienced in order to bring salvation. Frances Havergal wrote a hymn I find difficult to sing as it is written as the words of Christ to us but the words aren't in scripture. Despite my misgivings, the second verse seems appropriate here.

"My Father's house of light, My glory circled throne,
I left for earthly night, For wand'rings sad and lone;
I left, I left it all for thee, Hast thou left aught for me?
I left, I left it all for thee, Hast thou left aught for me?"

When I ask how I'm doing being graded on the curve of what everyone else is doing, I am filled with pride (in that negative, arrogant sense of the term). No one at my church has even questioned whether we'd have Church on Christmas Sunday. People in my circle look forward to worshiping on Christmas Sunday. But when my sacrifices to "work on Christmas day" are compared to the one who started, perfected and completed the work of Christmas--the one for whom the day is name--I realize that I have no room to brag, or be judgmental for that matter.

No comments: