Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confessions of a Judmental Christian

I struggle with judgmentalism. Here's what it looks like in my life:
1.  I regard some sins as worse than others.  I can be really forgiving of the things that plague me and really harsh toward those sins I do not struggle with.
2.  I overlook sins in my own life and emphasize the salient in others.  I've never thought of myself as greedy.  Of the sins that I condemn quickly, greed is probably at the top of the list.  But, I'm also guilty of being a poor money manager.  I'm guilty of technolust (wanting the newest gadget without determining whether it's useful or not) and I buy too much on impulse.  Gluttony is another form of greed and I'm guilty of it.  I easily overlook these sins in my own life but quickly judge the greedy people "on Wall Street."
3.  I relish an attitude of moral superiority rather than earnestly praying for repentance.
4.  I am slow to believe people's intentions to change even though I profess a belief in the power of grace to transform. 

No comments: