Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pastor's Class lessons


Pastor’s class is a class that introduces students to the faith that leads to baptism.  As is the case almost every time I teach something, I learn as much if not more than the students.  Somewhat randomly, here are some things I learned through this season of Pastor’s Class.

1.       Sometimes you can work so hard to deliver one important message that you fail to deliver the other important messages.  I have tried to protect a person’s freedom to choose for as long as I have thought about my role in enabling people to make their confession of faith.  Faith was never forced on me.  People made sure I knew who God is but did not force me into a relationship with Him.  I have treasured that and I have tried very hard to make sure that I protect that same freedom.  What I’ve come to understand this year is that sometimes protecting that freedom can send the wrong message.  It can send the message that I (we) don’t really care whether a person accepts Christ or not.  We try very hard not to pressure people to join First Christian Church.  Do we sometimes try so hard not to pressure people that we leave them with the impression that it doesn’t matter to us whether they join or not?  Somehow we need to find a way to say to others “I will protect your freedom to choose AND I will rejoice when your choice moves toward God’s plan for your life.”

2.       The presence of other adults matters greatly. For the first time,  I have asked elders to serve as mentors this year.  They worshiped with the students on Sunday and then afterward had lunch, answered questions about their faith, and then we all went bowling together.  It was fun.  But the other thing I noticed is how important it was.  It was important for the kids to interact with school teachers, engineers, computer experts, scientists, and retirees who love Jesus Christ.  Most people don’t grow up to become ministers.  Consequently, kids need models of faithful living.  I am also very glad Bill Jeffreys included a day of fun with the mentors.  The playing together, I think, helps the kids see that even into adulthood play and friendship continue. 

3.       Sunday the students and mentors worshipped together.  The goal of worshiping was for the mentors to offer their insights about what’s happening in worship.  What I noticed Sunday was that the point in the service where I saw the most interaction—I could even hear a slight murmur—came at communion.  Communion is typically a very quiet time during the service.  It can leave people with the sense that not much is going on.  What I witnessed Sunday is what I always hoped was true:  while the Lord’s Supper appears to be simple and quiet there is more going on below the surface than meets the eyes.  Thanks be to God. 

No comments: